The Ukrainian capital of Kyiv celebrated the 125th anniversary of the opening of the Brodsky Synagogue.
The event was attended by local government representatives, ambassadors, military officers and senior government officials.
In the spring of 1897, Jewish industrialist and philanthropist Eliezer Brodsky received the approval of the Senate of the Russian Empire to found the synagogue. The synagogue was inaugurated on August 24, 1898, on the occasion of Brodsky’s 50th birthday. The solemn opening ceremony was attended by the head of the district, the mayor of Kiev and other important representatives of the time.
After the October Revolution in 1926, the synagogue was closed by order of the authorities. The building was then used as a center. In 1992, the President of Ukraine issued a law providing for the return of religious buildings to the communities to which they once belonged.