The Assayag synagogue in Tangier is to house a new Jewish Museum, the rehabilitation project of which has been entrusted to the architect Malika Laâroussi and the exhibition of the museum to Mrs Isabelle Timsit.
During a working session with the wali of the Tangier region, Mohammed M’Hidia, the Secretary General of the Council of Jewish Communities of Morocco, Serge Berdugo, recalled that this synagogue was founded in 1890. The restoration projects responds to the concern to restore the site and create a museum to exhibit the artefacts, documents and photos, which the Jewish community of Tangier has saved and inventoried in order to integrate it into a relevant exhibition allowing visitors to know about the history of the Jewish people in Tangier: the Nahon Synagogue, the Akiba Synagogue, the Jewish Museum of Tangier and the Historical Cemetery of Portugal Street.
The work, which was launched by the “Dona and Haïm Benchimol” Foundation, the Jewish Community of Tangier and the Foundation of the Judeo-Moroccan Cultural Heritage, should last 10 months.
Mr. Berdugo announced to Mr. M’Hidia, the decision of the local Jewish community to put at the disposal of the wilaya, the building of the “Cuna”, the emblematic maternity of the Jewish community, which will be rehabilitated according to the norms to receive voluntarily the parturients of the city.
He also announced the forthcoming opening of a kosher restaurant.