One dead, four injured in terrorist attack in Jerusalem’s Old City

One man was killed and four others were injured in a shooting attack carried out by a Hamas member in Jerusalem’s Old City.

Magen David Adom rescue services said that two of the injured were civilians and two were border police officers. One man was taken in critical condition to Hadassah-University Medical Center at Jerusalem’s Mount Scopus with head wounds and was later pronounced dead.

A second civilian sustained moderate-to-severe wounds and the border police officers had light injuries.

The man killed in the attack was later identified as 26-year-old Eliyahu David Kay from Kibbutz Beer Yitzhak. Kay, an immigrant from South Africa was employed as a guide for the Western Wall Heritage Foundation.

The two other injured civilians were identified as 46-year-old Rabbi Zeev Katzenelnbogen, a father of eight, and yeshiva student Aaron Yehuda Imergreen, who is hospitalized in serious condition at Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

The attack, that took place at the Chain Gate in the Old City, was the second in less than a week. A few days earlier, two Border Policemen were lightly wounded in a stabbing attack on Hagay street in the Muslim Quarter, near the Ateret Kohanim yeshiva.

“This morning there was a severe shooting attack in the Old City of Jerusalem. We currently have one killed and three wounded,” said Prime Minister Naftali Bennett at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting.

Bennett, who sent his condolences to the family of the man who passed away and asked to pray for those who were wounded in the attack said that he had received an update from the Public Security Minister Omer Bar-Lev and Police Commissioner Kobi Shabtai and that security forces have to increase their alertness in order to thwart further attacks.

Police officers at the scene opened fire at the shooter, an East Jerusalem Palestinian, and killed him, according to police. He was later identified as Fadi Abu Shkhaydam, a 42-year-old resident of Shuafat camp in east Jerusalem and a known Hamas member. His wife and son are said to have left the country several days before the attack.

Hamas quickly took responsibility for the attack, calling it a “heroic operation” and warning “the criminal enemy and its government to stop the attacks on our land and our holy sites

[Israel] will pay a price for the iniquities it commits against Al-Aqsa Mosque, Silwan, Sheikh Jarrah and elsewhere.”Israeli security forces later raided Shkhaydam’s home and the Rashidiya school where he taught religious studies in east Jerusalem. His relatives including his daughter, brother and nephew were also reportedly arrested by security forces.


Subscribe to the EJC newsletter

Get the EJC newsletter, including the latest statements and news from the European Jewish communities, direct to your inbox.

European Jewish Congress will use the information you provide on this form to contact you. We will treat your information with respect and will not share it with others. By clicking Subscribe, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

browse by community