Two men accused in UK of plotting ISIS-style machine gun terror attack on Jews

Two men accused of plotting to gun down Jews in an Islamic State-inspired attack in northwest England were held without bail after appearing in a London court.

Walid Saadaoui, 36, and Amar Hussein, 50, were accused of planning to use machine guns to kill Jews, police and military personnel, prosecutors said in Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

The duo face charges of preparing terrorist acts between December 13 and May 9.

A third man, Bilel Saadaoui, 35, was accused of making arrangements for the expected death of his brother, co-defendant Walid Saadaoui.

He pleaded not guilty to a charge of failing to disclose information about an act of terrorism.

Defense lawyer Angelo Saponiere said Bilel Saadaoui was a family man unaware of the alleged plot.

The three were arrested by Greater Manchester Police. They were held without bail and are scheduled to appear May 24 for a hearing in the Central Criminal Court.

The charges come as incidents of antisemitism in the UK hit a record high last year — with a spike following Hamas’s Oct. 7 brutal terror attack on Israel, in which some 1,200 people were killed in Israel and 252 were taken hostage.

related

Subscribe to EJC newsletter

Get EJC's bi-weekly newsletter, including the latest statements and news from the European Jewish communities, direct to your inbox.

European Jewish Congress will use the information you provide on this form to contact you. We will treat your information with respect and will not share it with others. By clicking Subscribe, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

Events & Meetings