The two members of the Oxford University Labour Club who were accused of engaging in antisemitic acts in front of Jewish students have been cleared by party officials.
On Tuesday, the National Executive Committee disputes panel of Britain’s principal opposition Labour party ruled that the investigation into the allegations should be dropped.
It is believed the decision will be formally rubber-stamped by the full NEC in a matter of weeks.
Members of Oxford University Labour Club were claimed to have discussed Zionists rigging British elections, frequently used the abusive term “Zio” and said that European attacks on Jews were justified because of Gaza.
The investigation into the OULC was launched after Jewish students at the university revealed a list of what they said were examples of antisemitism from Labour-supporting students.
Marie van der Zyl, Board of Deputies vice-president, criticised the decision to drop the investigation.
“In her original report on allegations of antisemitism at Oxford University Labour Club, Baroness Royall said that there had been ‘some incidents of antisemitic behaviour’. Now, 11 months later, the Labour Party has dropped the investigation. This inability or unwillingness to confront what is a serious problem is damning for the party and will concern Jewish students on campus who feel their own party offers them no protection against abuse,” van der Zyl said.
The Union of Jewish Students said the NEC decision was “nothing short of disgraceful”.
A spokeswoman UJS said in a statement: “The party had an opportunity to put its values into practice, to demonstrate how seriously they take the issue of antisemitism and to show that Labour clubs are welcome spaces for Jewish students, but they have failed miserably.
“They have let Jewish students down and in doing so, they have created an atmosphere in which antisemitism may thrive without fear of being challenged.”