Croatian Jews to boycott ceremony at former Nazi camp

Dr. Ognjen Kraus, president of the Coordinating Committee of Jewish Communities in Croatia – the country’s EJC affiliate – stated that the community will not attend the official government commemoration for the victims of the Jasenovac concentration camp for the fourth straight year.

Similarly, the head of the SABA alliance of anti-fascist fighters, Franjo Habulin, said SABA would decide on Thursday whether to attend the joint commemoration.

Prime Minister Andrej Plenković last week invited representatives of SABA, the Jewish community, Serbs and Roma to take part in a joint commemoration. Kraus said the Jewish community would not accept.

“Nothing has changed over the past year. Nothing new has happened,” he told the press, citing historical revisionism and the government’s stance on the Ustasha salute “For the homeland, ready”.

The Ustasha was a Croatian fascist, racist and pro-Nazi organization whose members murdered hundreds of thousands of Serbs, Jews Roma and political dissidents in Yugoslavia in WWII.

related

Subscribe to EJC newsletter

Get EJC's bi-weekly newsletter, including the latest statements and news from the European Jewish communities, direct to your inbox.

European Jewish Congress will use the information you provide on this form to contact you. We will treat your information with respect and will not share it with others. By clicking Subscribe, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.

browse by community